Python is a high level programming language. Python is also case sensitive programming language. Python Language was created by Guido van Rossum in 1990’s. It enables programming on both small and large scales. Python is a dynamic type system and features a automatic memory management. So python is used in companies like Google, Yahoo, IBM, etc.
ADVANTAGES OF PYTHON:
- Extensively supported modules.
- Access to Third Party Modules
- Easy creation of GUI [Graphical User Inteface]
- More no of tutorials and documentation availability
- Open Source and User-friendly
- Automation, Machine learning, Deep learning and many such trending toolboxes are available in python
- Mini Computers such as Raspberry Pi and BeagleBone rely on python as the main programming language.
- Supported by all kind of systems and platforms.
- Integrates easily with other languages.
- Simple and easy
- It is an Interpreted language
DISADVANTAGES OF PYTHON
- Speed limitations
- Underdeveloped when compared with JDBC (Java DataBase Connectivity).
- Weakness in Mobile Computing.
- Leads to run-time errors.
The two popular and latest versions of python used worldwide are
- Python 2.7
- Python 3.6
- To know the differences between Python 2 and 3 click here.
I have explained both python 2.7 and python 3.7 installations.
1. PYTHON 2.7 INSTALLATION IN WINDOWS:
- Go the official python website https://www.python.org/downloads/ to download the python software.
- If you have installed python 2.7 your installation folder will be C:\Python27.
- Python can be accessed by using IDLE.
ADD PYTHON AS ENVIRONMENT VARIABLE
- Search for Edit the System Environment Variable and open it
- Click on Environment variables in Advanced Tab
- Double click on Path in System variables to add a new variable
- Then click on new and add the directory of installation of python [C:/Python27 for python 2.7] and click ok
- To check whether the python is accessible in every location open Command Prompt and type python. You will get response as shown below
- PIP is an easiest and recommended tool for installing modules for python.
- Download the get-pip.py python file.
- Open the file with idle by right clicking on it and selecting Edit with IDLE
- Run the file by Run–>Run Module
- PIP will be installed in the location C:/Python27/Scripts considering that python 2.7 is installed
- PIP should be added to Environment variable as we added python.
- To check whether pip is installed open command promt and type pip
- To install a module refer the google where we get the pip command for that module. For example, to install serial type pip install pyserial and the module will be installed
2. PYTHON 3.7 INSTALLATION IN WINDOWS:
- Go the official python website https://www.python.org/downloads/ to download the python 3.7.0.
- Run the executable file. An installer opens as shown below. Check the Add python 3.7 to path checkbox.
- Click on the customize installation button to setup custom installation folder.
- Specify the location where the python is to be installed.
- Open the Command prompt and move the location where python is installed.
- Use the python and pip to check the installation.
OTHER METHODS TO INSTALL PYTHON
- Install anaconda software which contains all modules and contains web interactive tools. It can be installed from here. Anaconda is best suites image processing and machine learning.
- PyCharm can be used instead of using IDLE since it will be helpful to maintain big projects.
INSTALLATION IN LINUX
- Considering the importance of Python it is installed in default in Linux.
- Idle can be installed by
sudo apt-get install idle
Click here for python tutorials